Let’s face it: life gets busy, especially for moms. This Mother’s Day let’s turn honey-do lists into the honey-done lists and knock out those lingering household projects for the special moms in our life.
While flowers, chocolate, and cards will always be a special tradition for Mother’s Day, we’ve put together ten ways the DIY’er can honor Mom.
1. Plant a tree or flowers in her yard as a living, lasting reminder of your love for her.
While you’re outside there are plenty of outdoor chores that can be done for Mother’s Day like cleaning gutters, mowing, weeding, mulching, and trimming the shrubs.
2. Fire up the grill!
Get fresh ingredients and make lunch or dinner for her. Don’t forget to have her favorite types of food. If the mom in your life appreciates spending time doing things with you, cook a meal together.
3. Moms are always on the go, so turn her vehicle into a crumb & clutter free ride.
Use your shop vac to detail the inside of her car. You can also clean the outside with soap, a bucket, and a sponge. If you’re looking to go the extra mile, make sure to fill the tank and change the oil for her as well.
4. Organize the closet, garage, or laundry room.
Since you’re the DIY type, put together shelving, storage bins, or mounts for a long-term organization solution.
5. Invest in a small appliance- anything to make life easier or less stressful.
Good suggestions for the mom on the go would be crock pots, blenders, Kitchenaid mixer, iRobot sweepers, and Keurig coffee maker. Have the new appliance set up and ready-to-use.
6. Make a backyard nature sanctuary!
Pick her favorite spot in the yard and turn it into a nature sanctuary by adding a bird bath, bird feeders, and a bird house. Plant a variety of color with her favorite plants and flowers. Set up a bench, hammock, or patio set for her to sit and enjoy quiet sounds of nature in her own backyard.
7. Sharpen all the kitchen knives for her!
When she’s rushing to put dinner on the table, she needs good, sharp knives to chop quickly and throw together a meal.
8. Put a fresh coat of paint on the walls in the common areas.
The common areas in the house get a lot of traffic and love. This helps her keep up with the house and gets rid of spots like scuff marks, finger prints, and dirt.
9. To be safe and prepared, change batteries in the fire alarms and make sure they’re working properly.
Safety is always top priority for moms.
10. Get crafty!
Make her a custom bracelet with hex-nuts from your local Do it Best hardware store.